This greenhouse for the Villa Gardens – known as orangerie in the original project of Architect Piermarini – was built in 1790 alongside with the rotunda. It stands in the left south portion of the side wing near the kitchens.
This wide greenhouse is 100 m (328 ft) long, 6 m (19 ft) wide and 7 m (23 ft) high. The daylight comes from a long series of windows. Besides housing delicate and exotic plants, during the Hapsburg dominion, shows for the Court were performed inside. The original cobblestone floor has been replaced by cotto tiles.
The greenhouse is linked to the rotunda by a gate. Architect Piermarini was able to achieve mechanisms to conceal doors and activate waterworks just to please Archduke and his guests. After restoration, the greenhouse is now housing temporary exhibitions.
In 1964, businessman Mr. Fumagalli created the Roseto – rose garden – soon after establishing the Associazione Italiana della Rosa. He has been President of this association until 1990, when he died. A portion of ground on side of the Villa is now housing the rose garden. Two local architects could design an agreeable and functional space, with tiny pond and path that are well inserted in the landscape.
Click here to know more.
photo gallery - (by courtesy of the webmaster)